Tuesday, June 16, 2015

"Extreme" Couponing

My sister asked me yesterday how I got $25 worth of food (candy, bottled juices, ice cream, cookies and more) for nothing. I actually got 30-something cents in change. So I thought I'd share some of my favorite ways to save. I'm going to try and do one blog post a day (no promises that it will be exactly one a day though) with a new way to save. Some are websites, some are apps, some are reward programs, etc. Some ways are easier than others. Some have better "payouts" than others. But they will all be things that I have personally done. I plan to provide referral links (that sometime come with a bonus for you and me.) I also will discuss the pros and cons of each method. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) I do not consider myself and extreme couponer, but rather a couponer. I do not usually have huge shopping trips like you see on the Extreme Couponing TV show nor do I have a large stockpile of things that I will probably never use. (I have a small stockpile and I do stock up on things we use a lot when the price is good, but it's nothing extreme - in my opinion)
2) Couponing is not a get rich quick scheme.
3) Be aware of "rebate" offers and apps. They are great but just remember that you will pay out of pocket first.
4) To use all of my methods will probably take a good amount of time. Don't try to do it all at once. I have added one new method at a time as I've discovered them and have slowly built up how many apps and websites I use. It's taken me years to get to the point where I am using so many different methods. I suggest picking and choosing which apps/websites/etc sound the most appealing to you.
5) One of my rules with couponing: if it stresses me out, I'm not allowed to do it. So I have to make sure to not get overwhelmed. I do little bits here and there rather than trying to "do it all." I personally have a lot of fun with finding good deals. But if it isn't your cup of tea or it ends up stressing you out to make sure you get to this store for that deal and that store for this deal, then you might be better off taking a step back.

Anyway...this intro ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would.

I hope you enjoy this new "blog series" on couponing. (And if you don't like couponing - come back in a month or so and see if I've moved onto a new topic to post about. I still love you even if you don't care what I have to say about coupons.)

No comments:

Post a Comment